26 January, 2013

You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile

Hi girls,

Thank you so much for your support already for MHM! Today I want to encourage you with the idea of dressing yourself with a smile each morning as you prepare for the day ahead. 

In the musical Annie, the main character sings, 'You're never fully dressed without a smile,' and I was encouraged to think about the way I interact with others during the day. So often we focus on caring for our outer appearance that we neglect to give our inner selves much love at all!

A smile is a simple gesture that can make someone's day a whole lot more enjoyable! I'm not talking about a forced smile that really doesn't reflect how you feel on the inside, but one that is genuine and warm. Many of us feel stressed or busy throughout the day but its not too hard to remember to share a smile with those we see along the way. 

Perhaps you are in a place where you don't feel like you have a smile to share? One great way to find reason to smile is to think about all of the things you are grateful for. Maybe make a list or talk to a close friend about the wonderful things in your life. Personally, Jesus' faithfulness to me even when I fail Him, always gives me reason to be glad. 



A smile helps you to keep positive even when you might be having a difficult day. Most of all it is a gift that you can give for free that warms the heart of another. Our society is so based around technology that maybe we have forgotten the generosity of a kind smile. The smily emoticon ' :) ' hardly compares.

What happened to the days when we smiled and greeted the person passing on the street? It's time to get back to basics! 

I'd love to hear in the comment section below about a time when you have been blessed by the smile of another or felt uplifted by the kind smile of another. 

Keep on smiling,

Hol xx




2 comments:

  1. Hi Hol, after reading this I immediately thought of a lovely stroke patient I had the pleasure of working with in a Rehab unit recently. Unfortunately this man's impairments included a particular speech disorder called aphasia where he lost his ability to formulate language - 'speechlessness' if you like. Despite this, every single moment I spent with this man he would wear a smile from ear to ear. From during therapy to sitting in the lunch room there wasn't a minute that he wasn't sharing his smile with the staff and other patients. Imagine the frustration of not being able to say a simple 'hello' or ask for help when needed, yet this man projected happiness to everyone around him through his beautiful smile. It's amazing that without words we were still able to witness the kind of man he was and his wonderful nature in the way that he smiled. It was the kind of smile that when you see it it becomes impossible to not return the gesture. The kind of smile that even now I can picture in my head and the thought alone brings a smile to my own face, it was so sincere, so genuine and to be able to communicate through a smile was his gift. Hopefully sharing my experience has brought a smile to you also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Han :) It did make me smile too!

    ReplyDelete